Polar imports from .pdd files

Features that users would like to see in a future release of iSMARTtrain
rayk

Polar imports from .pdd files

Post by rayk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 am

I was happy to find that iSMARTtrain supports both my old Polar S625X, including support for Polar HRM files, as well as my Suunto T3C.

However, I quickly noted some minor import problems, when doing an HRM file import: e.g. no Calories, no Distance (sometimes), Sport always "Running", etc., as is documented in the help file, and in this forum.

This is because some information is in the "Polar Daily Diary" file (<date>.pdd). If you are interested Polar has a description document on their website (or I have a 98Kb PDF document I can send by e-mail) describing how to parse extra information such as:
- Energy
- Distance (i.e. if you didn't where a footpod, but entered the data manually)
- Power
- Cadence

You can even find:
- Sport Information
- Time in HR zones
- Exertion counts by zone (similiar to TRIMP)
but you need to parse another "Polar Personal Details" (<name>.ppd) to get complete information.

Is there any desire to improve the importing from Polar files?

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Polar imports from .pdd files

Post by Stuart » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 pm

The current betas already import .pdd files. Simply make sure the associated .hrm files are in the same folder as the .pdd file, and import the .pdd file.

Regards

Stuart

rayk

Post by rayk » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Wow -- you're fast! Is it undocumented? I assumed only HRM was supported given some of the comments in the forum (i.e. no Calories) and documentation.

Is it working fairly well, or will I be "beta" testing?

I just finished importing about 800 HRM files. Shall I delete all of them now and re-import them from the PDD files?

I have some 200 PDD files without associated HRM files (no HR samples). I manually entered "minimal" data from the Suunto T3C. Will that work?

I guess I'll find out.

Thanks,

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:11 pm

rayk wrote:Wow -- you're fast! Is it undocumented? I assumed only HRM was supported given some of the comments in the forum (i.e. no Calories) and documentation.

Is it working fairly well, or will I be "beta" testing?

I just finished importing about 800 HRM files. Shall I delete all of them now and re-import them from the PDD files?

I have some 200 PDD files without associated HRM files (no HR samples). I manually entered "minimal" data from the Suunto T3C. Will that work?

I guess I'll find out.

Thanks,

The documentation won't be updated until the final release. I've tested the feature with a few of my own pdd files, and a few from some other users. If you have a problem, send me your files, and I'll look at them.

Regards

Stuart

rayk

Post by rayk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Hello Stuart,

I didn't look long (yet) but it looks like it pretty much works.

I saw the following differences:
- Duration lost fractions of the second (e.g. 1:50:08.8 from HRM file, 1:50:08.0 from PDD file)
- Lost "Climb" value calculation (e.g. 410m from HRM file, 0m from PDD file)

I also have quite a few manually entered exercises without HRM data, where I don't use much data, but of what I use, I saw:
- No HR average or max
- No time in HR zones (this might be a problem since Polar uses up to 10 HR zones, numbers them in reverse order, and they may be defined differently. Mapping the first 5 would be ideal for me.)

In any case, thanks so far for what is there.