IST Import Bug

Discussions about the current release of iSMARTtrain
Racing Heart

IST Import Bug

Post by Racing Heart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 pm

This bug report applies to iSMARTtrain for Macintosh, Version 3.0.4.
Cycle computer used: Polar CS200cad.

There is a MAJOR bug when importing a previously exported IST File (aka, iSMARTtrain XML file format) when the file contains multiple lap data. Using a text editor to view the XML file, it appears to contain the correct sets of lap data, (<LapInterval> ... </LapInterval), therefore, Export function seems to be working properly, however, upon importing the IST file, the resultant session only contains one "lap" which spans the entire exercise (import seems to fail at correctly importing each separate lap), and all speed/cadence data fails to be imported as well. This is blatantly apparent when selecting Lap Data, which now only contains data in the Heart Rate tab, and since the data which used to be present in the Speed/Cadence tab is missing completely, the Speed/Cadence tab is now grayed-out and no longer selectable. And obviously, since there is now only one lap, selecting the Data Graph feature will no longer display the breakdown of the various lap intervals.

I discovered this when I exported a session using version 3.0.4 on my Mac and sent the file to a friend for him to import and view on his Mac, also running version 3.0.4. My session displayed the multiple laps, however, the same session imported to his computer no longer showed any lap breakdown, instead only the "End" lap with the final time displayed in the Lap Data. Needless to say, it was pretty much useless for him to look at.

On another note, there was a report that the speed units would stay as km/hr despite changing it by Editing Session (and yes, it had already been changed in the Manage Activities section to be mi/hr). The odd thing is, after importing the session, when edited, it would now retain the mi/hr units! The procedure you need to follow is to first change the Distance field temporarily from Miles to kilometers, and then change it back to Miles. When you do this, the Pace units will change automatically from km/hr back to mi/hr and the value will be recalculated. Unless you do this step of changing the Distance field to km and back to mi, however, the pace will change to mi/hr but the value will not be recalculated, leaving you with mi/hr as units but the value still in km/hr! I would not advise exporting and then reimporting the session though, if you have multiple laps and want retain that information, until this bug is fixed.

C'mon, iSMARTtrain should at least be able to import its own file format (IST) correctly. Please make this a priority fix.

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: IST Import Bug

Post by Stuart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi,
Lap Issue is fixed in the next release. Should be out in the next couple days, as this is, as you say, a major issue.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

Racing Heart

IST Import Bug Not Resolved (3.0.5 for Mac)

Post by Racing Heart » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:27 am

Hi Stuart,

I've been anxiously awaiting the 3.0.5 release so I could import IST files. The Lap Data bug partially fixed, ie, the import successfully reads the HR data for each lap. However, speed data and cadence data are still missing (resulting in the Speed/Cadence tab remaining greyed out). Since my IST file does not contain any power or altitude data, I cannot confirm whether that data is importing successfully (I guess I could edit the XML file with non-zero data and fake it). A sample of the XML file for the <LapInterval> data in my IST file (exported using 3.0.4) looks like this:

<LapInterval>
<Time>
<Hours>1</Hours>
<Minutes>18</Minutes>
<Seconds>22</Seconds>
<Tenths>8</Tenths>
</Time>
<Distance>16.9</Distance>
<HRData>
<HR>0</HR>
<MaxHR>167</MaxHR>
<AverageHR>147</AverageHR>
</HRData>
<SpeedData>
<Speed>20.7</Speed>
<AverageSpeed>12.93697</AverageSpeed>
</SpeedData>
<CadenceData>
<Cadence>87</Cadence>
<AverageCadence>84</AverageCadence>
</CadenceData>
<PowerData>
<Power>0</Power>
</PowerData>
<AltitudeData>
<Altitude>0</Altitude>
<Ascent>0</Ascent>
</AltitudeData>
<IntervalData>
<RecoveryHR>0</RecoveryHR>
<RecoveryTime>0</RecoveryTime>
</IntervalData>
</LapInterval>

To reiterate, the HR data successfully shows up; all other data does not. Unfortunately, this means my graph is still of very limited use.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Ok, I'll have a look at this.

Regards

Stuart

Racing Heart

Post by Racing Heart » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 am

Stuart wrote:Ok, I'll have a look at this.

Stuart, do you need a sample file to use in testing? From the recent posts, it appears that there are import bugs in more than just the IST format. Since IST is iSMARTtrain's native format though, I hope this one gets a higher priority.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:04 pm

Hi,
Yes, a sample file would be good - I've been unable to reproduce the problem here, so I suspect that I'm not using the same data options as you are.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

Racing Heart

Post by Racing Heart » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:37 pm

Stuart wrote:Hi,
Yes, a sample file would be good - I've been unable to reproduce the problem here, so I suspect that I'm not using the same data options as you are.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

Okay, I sent you data from a session via Private Message feature.