Disk I/O error

Discussions about the current release of iSMARTtrain
Frank Bowman

Re: Disk I/O error

Post by Frank Bowman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:59 am

I'm stumped. I can't open any of the log files in Dropbox even from before the date of the onset of the problem - but they open ok at your end which seems to imply they're not corrupt. I'm running the current version of IST and have tried a simple reinstall. I can open a log file ok from Library from mid July which suggests IST at this end is ok. I have some of the missing files in PowerAgent I could re-import as but not the ones taken using my Polar (except the three or so still in it's memory).

Is there not some plist file or something I can delete?????

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Frank Bowman wrote:I'm stumped. I can't open any of the log files in Dropbox even from before the date of the onset of the problem - but they open ok at your end which seems to imply they're not corrupt. I'm running the current version of IST and have tried a simple reinstall. I can open a log file ok from Library from mid July which suggests IST at this end is ok. I have some of the missing files in PowerAgent I could re-import as but not the ones taken using my Polar (except the three or so still in it's memory).

Is there not some plist file or something I can delete?????

I need to check again as I may have been using the wrong database file (too many iSMARTtrain.db files on my Mac) - I can't understand why it asked me to update the database to v23, if you're using the latest version of iSMARTtrain, so I suspect that I've messed up somewhere. Let me have a look at it again in the next couple of days and get back to you.

Regards

Stuart

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Yippee! (Fingers crossed)

Hello Stuart, before you spend more time on this (much appreciated), I think it's sorted. I've used Time Machine to restore the log file to just before the crash and IST opens this OK. I just have to figure out the latest viable restorable log file and hopefully will not lose any data - or maybe just one or two sessions. Presumably, whatever happened corrupted the log file AND earlier versions on Dropbox somehow so a restore from there didn't work. I have to go to do some real-world stuff now but will post an update later,

cheers,
Frank.

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:34 pm

There's a happy ending.

The last uncorrupted log file from Time Machine was 1/52 ago but I still had the missing files either on my Polar or re-importable from PowerAgent. Still not sure what happened as all the log files versions in Dropbox seemed to be corrupted .....

BTW, does the IST data backup function work? I get to the choose folder stage but nothing seems to be located thereafter when I use Finder to check? Not that I'm paranoid.

Cheers,
Frank.

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Hello Stuart.

Just thought that I'd let you know that I've finally managed to get my log file to transfer from my G5 to MBP but only by copying via a peer to peer connection - using DropBox just doesn't work although PowerTap and iWeb manage this OK. Explain that!

Can you answer my backup query?

Cheers,
Frank.