Dropbox: nag, nag

Discussions about the current release of iSMARTtrain
Frank Bowman

Dropbox: nag, nag

Post by Frank Bowman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:16 am

Hello Stuart.

Sorry to nag but I'm off on holiday soon so would like to sort this as per my earlier thread. Have you managed to get this to work?

Cheers,
Frank.

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox: nag, nag

Post by Stuart » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Frank Bowman wrote:Hello Stuart.

Sorry to nag but I'm off on holiday soon so would like to sort this as per my earlier thread. Have you managed to get this to work?

Cheers,
Frank.

Hi Frank,
Sorry about the delay - finally got to the bottom of this, and it'll be fixed in the next beta.

If you're in a rush, let me know, and I'll send you an advance copy!

Regards

Stuart

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:20 am

Hello Stuart.

I'm off to the Pyrenees Friday 2nd July! I can get around the problem by downloading into an empty iST on my MBP then transferring across when I get home - but send me the beta if it's ready.

Cheers,
Frank.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Frank Bowman wrote:Hello Stuart.

I'm off to the Pyrenees Friday 2nd July! I can get around the problem by downloading into an empty iST on my MBP then transferring across when I get home - but send me the beta if it's ready.

Cheers,
Frank.

ok, New beta should be out tomorrow.

Cheers

Stuart

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Hello again Stuart.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.......

I have downloaded 306b on to both the G5 and the MBP.
Opening the 306b on the G5 seemed to go OK at first. It opened but was empty despite Data Folder being correctly re-set for the copy in Dropbox.
I tried messing with re-setting the 306b Database File from iSMARTtrain.db to my iSMARTtrainlog but this led to a 'failed to open data base' error message. This also crashed 305 - scary! Managed to sort this by re-downloading iST beta and messing around with the iSMARTtrainlog file - not quite sure how I did this. After a bit of panicking I now have both 305 and 306b opening (one at a time on G5 - and strictly only one at a time G5/MBP with Dropbox synced) but only 305 shows my data despite both having the same Preferences settings for Database File (this sticks in Library/Applications even when the copy in Dropbox is chosen) and Data Folder (in Dropbox).

I've not dared with the MBP until 306b is up and running on the G5.

Does any of this make sense?!
Any suggestions?
I should add that I have managed to sync iWeb and PowerAgent across the G5 and MBP so this is not entirely a wetware problem.......

Cheers,
Frank.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi Frank,
You need to be running V3.0.6 Beta 21 on both Macs. V3.0.5 won't find the database in any other location that in the 'Application Support' folder.

The first thing to do is to make sure that dropbox is successfully sync'ing the database file between your tow mac.

Next, select the database in the dropbox folder in iSMARTtrain on each mac.

Thanks *should* work.

Regards

Stuart

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:29 am

Hello Stuart with an update at 1am!

Both G5 and MBP running 306b.
G5 has Database File pointed at iSMARTtrainlog in Application Support despite repeatedly re-setting to the copy in Dropbox.
I have tried copying iSMARTtrainlog from Dropbox to Application Support on the MBP and then re-setting Database File to this but this doesn't work either - I just get an empty diary or a crash.

Have you actually managed to get this to work at your end?
Have I made it clear that I am using www.dropbox.com and not the 'dropbox' folder in MacOSX?
I have also tried re-setting Data Folder to the copy in Dropbox but is this actually necessary or is it just the Database File that has to be in Dropbox?

At least I have been able to recover the settings to show all my data on the G5!

Cheers,
Frank.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi Frank,
You just need to select the Database File location, not the Data Folder - the Data Folder is only for importing data from V2.0.3 of iSMARTtrain (and will probably disappear soon...)

I've made a couple of changes to Beta 22 - the area around the select button now shows the path to the database file: see below

You can download the latest beta from: http://www.ismarttrain.com/Beta/iSMARTtrainV306B22.zip - let me know how you get on,

Regards

Stuart

SelectDatabase.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.