Dropbox

Discussions about the current release of iSMARTtrain
Frank Bowman

Dropbox

Post by Frank Bowman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Hello Stuart.

Have you any experience of running IST on 2 Macs using Dropbox? I'm assuming that I'll have to copy the data folder to Dropbox then change in iSt using Preferences/Data Folder/Set ? But do I have to copy/change the data base using Preferences/Database File/Set ? If I've understood this correctly, this folder and file are in Application Support and so neither includes the actual downloads in Documents/iSMARTtrain - so how do I move this also so it is a single data base in Dropbox that both Macs use?

BTW, it has been very simple to do this with PowerAgent just by changing the repository settings!

Cheers.

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox

Post by Stuart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:12 pm

Frank Bowman wrote:Hello Stuart.

Have you any experience of running IST on 2 Macs using Dropbox? I'm assuming that I'll have to copy the data folder to Dropbox then change in iSt using Preferences/Data Folder/Set ? But do I have to copy/change the data base using Preferences/Database File/Set ? If I've understood this correctly, this folder and file are in Application Support and so neither includes the actual downloads in Documents/iSMARTtrain - so how do I move this also so it is a single data base in Dropbox that both Macs use?

BTW, it has been very simple to do this with PowerAgent just by changing the repository settings!

Cheers.

Hi Frank,
If you set both copies of iST to point to the database in the Dropbox folder, it should work ok. All the data for the application is stored in the database. There's nothing in the Documents folder any more. There shouldn't be any need to copy the preferences between the two Macs.

Regards

Stuart

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Hello Stuart.

I've successfully moved my data base to Dropbox (it says so in Preferences/Advanced/Data Folder on the G5) and IST opens OK on my G5 (the original site of my data).
But no joy on the MBP even though Dropbox is synced, the folder and data is all there on both Macs, and IST on the MBP has the same setting in Preferences/Advanced/Data Folder ie the data folder in Dropbox.

The G5 listed ISMARTtrainlog (in Users/*my username*/Library/Applications Support) under Preferences/Advanced/Database File whereas the MBP listed ISMARTtrain.db (also in Library/Application Support) so I:
1. copied ISMARTtrainlog to Dropbox on the G5
2. re-set the G5 Preferences/Advanced/Database File to ISMARTtrainlog in Dropbox
3. re-set the MBP Preferences/Advanced/Database File to ISMARTtrainlog in Dropbox on the MBP

But no information appearing in IST relaunched on the MBP (G5 OK).
Interestingly, whenever I try to re-set Preferences/Advanced/Database File on either the G5 or the MBP this still appears to be set to the local version in Library/Application Support rather than the file copied to Dropbox.

What next?

Cheers.

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Hello Stuart.

I've tried again to sort this and really fouled IST up!

I copied iSMARTtrainlog from Dropbox to Library/Applications Support/iSMARTtrain then pointed Preferences/Database File to this but now IST will not open and I get the following error messages:

Failed to open Database

NilObjectException
istDatabase:GetUserCount
App:Open
NilObjectException not handled

I've tried reinstalling IST but to no avail.

Cheers.

Frank Bowman

Post by Frank Bowman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:35 am

Hello again Stuart.

Solved IST not opening problem by Trashing the trainlog file from Applications Support and relaunching - but still no sign of my data which is all there in Dropbox with IST/Preferences/Advanced/Data Folder set to this.

Cheers,
Frank.