KPH versus MPH

Discussions about the current release of iSMARTtrain
dociam

KPH versus MPH

Post by dociam » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Very happy to find iST to use with my Polar CS200cad... especially since I use a Mac. I had not problems with the sonic link and got several files imported. However, the software does not seem to want to cooperate with me in displaying my distances and speeds in Miles and MPH. I am able to edit the session, and while the distance will then change to miles, the average speed remains in KPH. In some sessions the speed will show me the correct speed for MPH, but label it as KPH. When I edit these sessions to change them from KPH to MPH the resulting speed is then incorrect (i.e. the software applies the conversion formula instead of merely changing the data's label.)

Have I set something up incorrectly, or is this a software problem?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Doc

dchap

Re: KPH versus MPH

Post by dchap » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:05 pm

I would love to see a reply to this post. I am having the same problem. I enter data using miles and mph, but it always shows up in the diary as kpm. Everytime I attempt to update the info it will show the updated information in the edit window correctly, but will always show kph in the diary main window. What gives? I found nothing in the preferences, or in the help file that addresses this. How can I fix this?
Thanks for your help.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Hi,
The units for an activity are defined in the 'Manage Activities' window. Regardless of what units you use to enter your data, it will always be displayed in the units set here.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart
OTAG Technologies Ltd

rmulder

Post by rmulder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:17 pm

I have a similar problem with conversions between metric and imperial units. I normally swim in Australia in a 50m pool and enter my swims in metres. However, I've been in the US for the past six months swimming in a 25-yard pool. iSmarttrain doesn't seem to cope well with different units for the same activity. For example, if I enter 4200 total yardage for a session and specify yards, when I reopen the session the yardage has been converted to 4200 kilometres! There don't seem to be any satisfying workarounds for this. If I convert the units for the activity to yards under 'manage activity', the problem persists. So my only options seem to be to either enter yardage as if it was in metres (unsatisfactory because they are not the same), or use a dahsboard widget to convert before entering (a bit clunky and tedious). I could perhaps set up the US swims as a new activity, but then I won't see my annual swimming distance under one total. It would be great if this little bug could be fixed so that for individual sessions of an activity, yards or metres can be specified, and that for the totals, iSmarttrain converts all session distances to whatever unit is preferred by the user for the totals.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:18 pm

rmulder wrote:I have a similar problem with conversions between metric and imperial units. I normally swim in Australia in a 50m pool and enter my swims in metres. However, I've been in the US for the past six months swimming in a 25-yard pool. iSmarttrain doesn't seem to cope well with different units for the same activity. For example, if I enter 4200 total yardage for a session and specify yards, when I reopen the session the yardage has been converted to 4200 kilometres! There don't seem to be any satisfying workarounds for this. If I convert the units for the activity to yards under 'manage activity', the problem persists. So my only options seem to be to either enter yardage as if it was in metres (unsatisfactory because they are not the same), or use a dahsboard widget to convert before entering (a bit clunky and tedious). I could perhaps set up the US swims as a new activity, but then I won't see my annual swimming distance under one total. It would be great if this little bug could be fixed so that for individual sessions of an activity, yards or metres can be specified, and that for the totals, iSmarttrain converts all session distances to whatever unit is preferred by the user for the totals.

Hi,
Can you try this in V3.0.6 Beta (http://www.ismarttrain.com/Beta/), please, and let me know if the bug still exists.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

rmulder

Post by rmulder » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi Stuart,

Yes, identical behaviour and problem in V3.0.6 beta 15 as far as I can tell.

Thanks for having a look at this.

Raoul

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:40 pm

rmulder wrote:Hi Stuart,

Yes, identical behaviour and problem in V3.0.6 beta 15 as far as I can tell.

Thanks for having a look at this.

Raoul

ok, I'll have a look.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:22 pm

rmulder wrote:I have a similar problem with conversions between metric and imperial units. I normally swim in Australia in a 50m pool and enter my swims in metres. However, I've been in the US for the past six months swimming in a 25-yard pool. iSmarttrain doesn't seem to cope well with different units for the same activity. For example, if I enter 4200 total yardage for a session and specify yards, when I reopen the session the yardage has been converted to 4200 kilometres! There don't seem to be any satisfying workarounds for this. If I convert the units for the activity to yards under 'manage activity', the problem persists. So my only options seem to be to either enter yardage as if it was in metres (unsatisfactory because they are not the same), or use a dahsboard widget to convert before entering (a bit clunky and tedious). I could perhaps set up the US swims as a new activity, but then I won't see my annual swimming distance under one total. It would be great if this little bug could be fixed so that for individual sessions of an activity, yards or metres can be specified, and that for the totals, iSmarttrain converts all session distances to whatever unit is preferred by the user for the totals.

Sorry, I'm not seeing this here - see attached screenshot where I've entered two swim sessions, one in metres, and one in yards. The Swim activity has its units set to metres.
SwimUnits.png

Thanks & Regards

Stuart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rmulder

Post by rmulder » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:24 am

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for looking at this. The totals seem to be calculated correctly; ie if I have several sessions of the same activity and some are in yards and others in metres, iST will add them up to the correct total in my preferred totals units (km). The bug that seems to be occurring is that when I enter a session in yards, the next time I reopen that session, iST has converted the yardage into kilometres (see attached screen grabs 1 and 2). Interestingly, it doesn't seem to make a difference whether I have km or yards specified as my preferred units for the activity totals - I get the same problem.

Raoul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dusty

Post by dusty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm

I too have this problem. I cannot get iSmartTrain to download MPH from my Polar XTrainer+. No matter what units I set in Manage Activities I get KPH downloaded. I have the Polar and activity set to miles and MPH, but it the session uses KPH. The numbers are correct but mislabeled (10.7 KPH when it was 10.7 MPH).

Converting doesn't work either. If I change the distance in the session after downloading but before confirming I still get metric units in the graph and data table.

The one thing that does seem to work is if I download with Manage Activities set to KPH then change Manage Activities to MPH and change the session to MPH it seems to accept that change.

Any help would be appreciated. If I can provide more information I'm happy to, just let me know what to provide.