How to graph a session?

Discussions about the current release of iSMARTtrain
Terrence

How to graph a session?

Post by Terrence » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 am

I am trialing the latest version of iSMARTTrain and I am so far unable to generate graphs of my sessions. I am using a Polar CS200cad. From what I can tell, all data is being transferred, since I can see my averages, maximums, et cetera. It's when I choose the "Data Graph" feature that I see a blank graph. All of the stats are shown at the bottom of the graph, but no time series of heart rate (or anything else) as I expect.

Perhaps the CS200cad does not record every data point for a ride and tracks rolling averages. That would explain the absence of data for graphing. If it does, then what may be wrong? Is this a feature available only in the licensed version?

So far, I really like the software and plan to purchase. I'd like to see the graphing feature in action before I do.

Terrence

Re: How to graph a session?

Post by Terrence » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:37 pm

It looks like the CS200cad does not record real-time data points, only rolling averages. That explains the lack of data. So, if you are after that type of data capture, do NOT buy the CS200 or below.

heronvc

Post by heronvc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:37 am

I have the same problem. I really like the software and I'm planning to buy it for use with my CS200Cad.
Are you planning to correct this issue in future release?

Rusty Smith

Post by Rusty Smith » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:59 am

heronvc:
I also use a cs200 - the "problem" is not with iSmartTrain - rather it is with the cs200 itself. As Terrence points out, the cs200 does not record much data - only averages, so there is not much data for iSmartTrain to show. What you see is what you get, as it goes.... There is really nothing to fix.
Rusty Smith
MacBook Pro (Unibody)
OS X 10.6.6
iSmartTrain v3.0.8 Beta 3
Polar Serial Adapter with Keyspan USA-19HS
Polar S625x
Polar cs200
Garmin Edge 500
Garmin Edge 800
Garmin Forerunner 310xt

Racing Heart

Post by Racing Heart » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Terrence wrote:I am trialing the latest version of iSMARTTrain and I am so far unable to generate graphs of my sessions. I am using a Polar CS200cad. From what I can tell, all data is being transferred, since I can see my averages, maximums, et cetera. It's when I choose the "Data Graph" feature that I see a blank graph. All of the stats are shown at the bottom of the graph, but no time series of heart rate (or anything else) as I expect.

A workaround for the CS200cad is to press the Lap button on the unit at various points along your ride. Then the graph will segment by lap and show various average values (e.g., speed, cadence, HR) for each lap, plotted vs distance. Obviously, this isn't going to show you second-by-second data values, but it will give you a somewhat visual idea of how your intensity changed throughout your session.

Terrence wrote:Perhaps the CS200cad does not record every data point for a ride and tracks rolling averages. That would explain the absence of data for graphing. If it does, then what may be wrong? Is this a feature available only in the licensed version?

Unless you actually hit the Lap button at least once during your ride, iSMARTtrain will not "graph" anything. Intuitively, you would think that it would draw horizontal lines across the graph for the various averages (HR, Speed, etc) but it won't; you're presented with simply a blank graph instead.

One caveat regarding laps, there is a bug in iSMARTtrain where if your session has more than 20 laps, the data import from your CS200cad will FAIL. If you turn on logging, you will see that at around 51% or so, the import will abort and it will be impossible to ever import that particular ride data successfully. This has been a bug throughout the many beta versions, and still exists today in the officially released 3.0.4 version. So even though the CS200cad can store up to 40 laps, be careful to not exceed 18 or so while out on the road. ;)