Using Maps

Discussions about the current release of iSMARTtrain
NormH

Using Maps

Post by NormH » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:23 am

I'm in China using a Garmin Vivoactive. When I view the map data in iSMARTtrain with my VPN off, the GPS data is approximately 600 meters off, but the actual map is displayed accurately because it is accessing local map data. When I view the map with the VPN on (subverting the firewall), the GPS data displays accurately but the map is incomplete (i.e., not showing unimproved roads, new roads, etc).

I know this is at least partially a function of Apple Maps; with the VPN on, Maps is only accessing TOMTOM data, but with the VPN off, it is also accessing Chinese map data. However, I don't understand why the Garmin data would display with such an error. Also, whether the VPN is on or off, Apple Maps will display the same satellite data but not the same map data. So is there a way to have iSMARTtrain display the satellite data?

Attached are all the relevant screen shots of what I'm talking about. Any analysis would be helpful. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Using Maps

Post by Stuart » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:42 pm

HI,
Thanks for that - that's really interesting! I'll have a look to see if I can set up a VPN to network into a Chinese address (the opposite of the usual use for a VPN, I know) and have a look at it.

It should be fairly simply to add Satellite view to the maps - In fact, I'm not sure why I haven't added it already.

Also, apologies for the delay in approving your post - the notification email got lost somewhere.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Using Maps

Post by Stuart » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi,
V4.2 Beta 6 is out today - https://ismarttrain.com/beta/

This includes the ability to select Satellite View in the Maps view.

Regards

Stuart