Open Source It?

Discussions on Suunto's Range of Heart Rate Monitors
Ashiro

Open Source It?

Post by Ashiro » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:12 am

Personally I think this will solve everyones problems.

If you open source the code you've produced so far that interfaces with Suunto watches then you'll get help from other devs. On top of that you'll be massively helping the community of Mac users with Suunto devices.

You won't damage your commercial prospects because lets face it - no one will be able to build up an entire app like iSmartTrain from simply having Suunto interfacing code.

But it will enable people to perhaps get raw usable data to play with? Giving you kudos, more customers, more karma and development help.

What say you?

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Open Source It?

Post by Stuart » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:08 pm

Ashiro wrote:Personally I think this will solve everyones problems.

If you open source the code you've produced so far that interfaces with Suunto watches then you'll get help from other devs. On top of that you'll be massively helping the community of Mac users with Suunto devices.

You won't damage your commercial prospects because lets face it - no one will be able to build up an entire app like iSmartTrain from simply having Suunto interfacing code.

But it will enable people to perhaps get raw usable data to play with? Giving you kudos, more customers, more karma and development help.

What say you?

Hi,
The code we use for the Suunto is already open-source - it's available here: http://www.sbrk.co.uk/t6/

Thanks & Regards

Stuart
OTAG Technologies Ltd

petha443

Post by petha443 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:39 pm

I have been working for a couple of days with the suunto memory belt.

I managed to solve a lot of the protocol and memory layout of the device but the HR data is hard to find, I know where it is but can not interpret it.
At the moment Iam thinking of changing pices of the memory and see what effect it has when Training manager reads it back.

Have you manage to work out the filestructure?

petha443

Post by petha443 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am

I guess you haven't solved the protocol for the Memory Belt then?

I have been strugling with the memory belt for a couple of days now.
The protocol is almost (or the same) as other suunto devices but the memory map is a bit different.

at 0x0f28 there is a index of files.. and then the files start at 0x1000+(index - 1 ) * 0x0200.
The file header starts with a date (6 bytes) then 4 bytes of something.. then there is 3 bytes of duration and 20 bytes of owners name.

The data is somehere between the file header address + 0x3d and the next file but i really dont get the format.

I even tried to generate a "pulse" at a fixed rate with a signal generator, which was detected by the device (64bpm). Then i made a frequency analysis on the data but could not see any emerging pattern.

Any ideas?