Newbie Polar 720i and Mac

Discussions on the Polar range of Heart Rate Monitors
dalekarenm

Newbie Polar 720i and Mac

Post by dalekarenm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:00 pm

I have a Polar 720i and an imac (intel based).
I have the Polar IR-serial cable and I have a serial-USB converter.

I tried the alternate Polar download technique but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have the IR-serial connected to the serial-USB and the serial-USB connected to the imac.
I set the HRM to "connect", then select a file, then hit start. The HRM says "IR Comm 0%" then "IR Comm 35%".. up to "IR Comm 100%" but during that time, iSmart doesn't seem to see anything.

Is this setup correct? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Newbie Polar 720i and Mac

Post by Stuart » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:45 am

dalekarenm wrote:I have a Polar 720i and an imac (intel based).
I have the Polar IR-serial cable and I have a serial-USB converter.

I tried the alternate Polar download technique but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have the IR-serial connected to the serial-USB and the serial-USB connected to the imac.
I set the HRM to "connect", then select a file, then hit start. The HRM says "IR Comm 0%" then "IR Comm 35%".. up to "IR Comm 100%" but during that time, iSmart doesn't seem to see anything.

Is this setup correct? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Yes, what you're doing sounds right. Do you have the drivers for your USB-Serial converter installed? Do you see the port in the 'Ports' popup menu?

Basically, all the software does in this mode of operation is to 'listen' for the data coming off the watch, so, if it's not working, then it sounds like something is wrong with your setup somewhere.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart
OTAG Technologies Ltd

DMillerJD

Post by DMillerJD » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:25 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I have an S725x, Polar IR Interface Keyspan USA19HS USB-serial adapter, MacBook running OSX 10.6. It appears that the IR adapter is reading info from the watch, and iSmartTrain seems to acknowledge it, but then logs the data in a running file, and it's unusable. Stuart, can you help? BTW, I tried the method described in http://www.ismarttrain.com/articles/AlterDownload.php without success.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Miller

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:51 am

DMillerJD wrote:I'm in a similar situation. I have an S725x, Polar IR Interface Keyspan USA19HS USB-serial adapter, MacBook running OSX 10.6. It appears that the IR adapter is reading info from the watch, and iSmartTrain seems to acknowledge it, but then logs the data in a running file, and it's unusable. Stuart, can you help? BTW, I tried the method described in http://www.ismarttrain.com/articles/AlterDownload.php without success.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Miller

Hi Dave,
Can you try a download using the Alternative method, but tick the 'Save Raw Data' checkbox. Once the download has been completed, you'll be asked to save a file - this file contains the raw data off the watch. Can you send me the file, please - stuart@otag.co.uk.

Hopefully, it'll shed more light on what's happening.

Thanks

Stuart
OTAG Technologies Ltd