End of workout - graph spikes

Discussions on the Polar range of Heart Rate Monitors
Tony Hoffman

End of workout - graph spikes

Post by Tony Hoffman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:42 pm

I posted on this topic about 6 weeks ago but never got a reply so I'm trying again.

I have a Polar S725x, am using the recommended Keyspan serial adaptor with the Polar Serial IR interface unit. The operating system is Tiger 10.4.11. I am using, as of today, the latest version of the beta software, but this problem has been consistent on the previous beta versions (going back at least 2 more) and has occurred ever since I bought the HRM 2 months ago.

Whether I use add session or download, the graphing information at the end of the workout gives odd (high) readings. This happens consistently with altitude (going from 900 to 3185, for instance, and staying there for the last 20 or so readings), but also happens with speed and sometimes Heart rate.

Oddly, these readings aren't reflected in the watch -- the ascent information, average HR, etc. are all in alignment with the reality of the workout. This (the erratic spike in altitude at the end of the workout) only seems to show itself in the graph. As well, the total climbing as shown in the sessions window reflects reality.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I can do to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: End of workout - graph spikes

Post by Stuart » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:58 am

Hi Tony,
Sorry about not getting back to you before. It sounds like there's something going wrong with the way we decode the data from the Polar watch. As you probably know, Polar won't give out the information on this, so we've reverse-engineered it. It's quite possible that the way the data is arranged on your HRM is something we've not come across before. Can you try the following, please: http://www.ismarttrain.com/articles/AlternateDownload.php, but tick the 'Save Raw Data' checkbox before starting. Once the download is compete, you'll be asked to save a file - send me the file, and I'll see what we can do to fix this.

Regards

Stuart

Tony Hoffman wrote:I posted on this topic about 6 weeks ago but never got a reply so I'm trying again.

I have a Polar S725x, am using the recommended Keyspan serial adaptor with the Polar Serial IR interface unit. The operating system is Tiger 10.4.11. I am using, as of today, the latest version of the beta software, but this problem has been consistent on the previous beta versions (going back at least 2 more) and has occurred ever since I bought the HRM 2 months ago.

Whether I use add session or download, the graphing information at the end of the workout gives odd (high) readings. This happens consistently with altitude (going from 900 to 3185, for instance, and staying there for the last 20 or so readings), but also happens with speed and sometimes Heart rate.

Oddly, these readings aren't reflected in the watch -- the ascent information, average HR, etc. are all in alignment with the reality of the workout. This (the erratic spike in altitude at the end of the workout) only seems to show itself in the graph. As well, the total climbing as shown in the sessions window reflects reality.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I can do to fix this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Kamayen

Post by Kamayen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 am

Hi Tony,

I have exactly the same problem, graph goes nuts @ high altitudes where all graph readings are odd while the summary below the graph is precise. I'm also using a S725x and hoping for a solution.

Cheers,
Kamayen

Tony Hoffman

Post by Tony Hoffman » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:10 pm

I got this one figured out through a subsequent e-mail exchange with Stuart.

Turns out the 725x is different than the 725, so that's where your problem lies. The workaround is to select the 625(x?) HRM option because the internal workings are pretty much the same as the 725x. After I did that everything worked flawlessly.

Kamayen

Post by Kamayen » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:09 pm

Thx, but doesn't work. I've been downloading all data selecting S625x from the Add/New Session -->Download tab right from the start. Selecting the S725 device never worked for me.
I wonder if the graph doesn't crazy @high altitudes with metric system.
Stuart, I can mail you the raw data file if needed.

Cheers