Update on RS800Cx?

Discussions on the Polar range of Heart Rate Monitors
GS67

Update on RS800Cx?

Post by GS67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:12 pm

Hello everybody,

I am currently on a Garmin Forerunner 405 which I am not so happy with and I am dying to get back to Polar. The obvious (current) model is the RS800. I have been reading the posts in the forum with great interest but I am not sure if there is a conclusion: Does it work on a MacBook Pro / iSMARTtrain or not? Some people got it to work, others haven't. Is there a bottom line as of today's date?

If so, what I need to make it work? For example, the Belkin IR adapter does not exist anymore. Is the Polar serial IR interface still available? I could not find it at our local (Montreal) running store. And if I can get it, what kind of adapter would I need that works with that interface and the MacBook Pro? And if all of this works, will I get the GPS data with it?

Thank you so much for your help, I sincerely greatly appreciate it!

Gernot

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Update on RS800Cx?

Post by Stuart » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi,
You need either the Belkin adaptor or a USB-IR adaptor with the Sigmatel chipset in it.

Regards

Stuart

GS67

Post by GS67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Stuart
thanks for the rapid reply; USB-IR adaptor with the Sigmatel chipset: Any suggestions as in brand name or model number for that? Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Gernot

GS67

Post by GS67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Here I am again: Would ANY Sigmatel chipset work and would I be able to download all of the data (incl GPS)? Would this work? http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_d ... &catid=139

Thanks so much!

Kind regards

GS

GS67

Post by GS67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

And two more last questions: Chipset 4200 or 4210? I have an old Polar USB-IR (the silver stick); How can I check which chipset it has?

Thanks again!

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:37 pm

GS67 wrote:And two more last questions: Chipset 4200 or 4210? I have an old Polar USB-IR (the silver stick); How can I check which chipset it has?

Thanks again!

Think it's the 4210 that's supported, but I need to check - the Polar stick has the right chipset.

Regards

Stuart

GS67

Post by GS67 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks, again, Stuart. So the last obstacle to overcome is compatibility with 10.6? Can you foresee a time frame to approach this (from what I can tell in the forum I am not the only person having that issue).

Thanks and best regards

gernot

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:20 am

GS67 wrote:Thanks, again, Stuart. So the last obstacle to overcome is compatibility with 10.6? Can you foresee a time frame to approach this (from what I can tell in the forum I am not the only person having that issue).

Thanks and best regards

gernot

I'm hoping to have a look at it in the next couple of days. It depends how much work it is to actually make the changes as to when it'll be done but I'll have a better idea after the weekend.

Regards

Stuart

GS67

Post by GS67 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi Stuart, thanks for the rapid reply.

An update this weekend would be fantastic. From what I understand, there is no built in driver in OSX? Technically, Sigmatel has drivers (http://www.allbusiness.com/electronics/ ... 523-1.html). Also, I could use the Polar Stick in Windows via Parallels with he S625X. But I do need your patch for iSMARTtrain to work with the Sigmatel chipset? There is also a USB stick with stated Mac support by the manufacturer (http://www.usbmax.com/view_product_info ... ryidds=139). Would that work out of the box?

I am sorry if all these questions take too much of your precisous time but it is really important for me to have the answers before embarking on an expense like the RS800Cx with GPS and footpod. Your help is greatly appreciated. Also, please let me know if RS800CX GPS works with iSMARTtrain. Obviously the question is, can I embrak on the RS800 or should I wait for another unknow un-announced potential future Mac-compatible Polar product that offers the same features (if ever that comes).

Thank you again, I greatly appreciate your help.

Gernot

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:07 pm

GS67 wrote:Hi Stuart, thanks for the rapid reply.

An update this weekend would be fantastic. From what I understand, there is no built in driver in OSX? Technically, Sigmatel has drivers (http://www.allbusiness.com/electronics/ ... 523-1.html). Also, I could use the Polar Stick in Windows via Parallels with he S625X. But I do need your patch for iSMARTtrain to work with the Sigmatel chipset? There is also a USB stick with stated Mac support by the manufacturer (http://www.usbmax.com/view_product_info ... ryidds=139). Would that work out of the box?

I am sorry if all these questions take too much of your precisous time but it is really important for me to have the answers before embarking on an expense like the RS800Cx with GPS and footpod. Your help is greatly appreciated. Also, please let me know if RS800CX GPS works with iSMARTtrain. Obviously the question is, can I embrak on the RS800 or should I wait for another unknow un-announced potential future Mac-compatible Polar product that offers the same features (if ever that comes).

Thank you again, I greatly appreciate your help.

Gernot

Hi,
No promises, but I'll see what I can do. The Sigmatel devices need the driver from my site - the built-in Mac driver only works with the Belkin unit. I have used the RS800 & RS800cx with iSMARTtrain using the Belkin driver, as have others here. I haven't tried the GPS unit, so I don't know how well my code handles that data.

Regards

Stuart