Another Mac Serial USB adapter driver question

Discussions on the Polar range of Heart Rate Monitors
JPK

Another Mac Serial USB adapter driver question

Post by JPK » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi All,

I'm trying to download my S625x to iSMARTtrain, but am having issues getting the HW set up properly. I have the Polar serial IR reader, and I have two USB Serial adapters- one by Prolific and another by Belkin. The Belkin adapter claimed to work in Mac OS 8.x or later on the packaging, but when I got it home the detailed instructions said that it works in 8.x and 9.x, but not in OS X (would have been nice to say this on the outside packaging). Info on the Belkin website says the same thing. Prolific has a Mac driver for their adapater that suposedly works on Mac OS X. I've downloaded this and installed it. The USB serial adapter shows up in my "Network Setting" menu in the control panel, but the system thinks it's a modem of some sort and I can't figure out what the correct settings are to get it to work properly. In iSMARTtrain, it shows up as "USBserial" but when I try to download from the HRM no data is transferred. Googling results in all sorts of cryptic lines of code that people have tried in Terminal that are waaaaay over my comfort level.

Can someone please tell me if they've been able to get either the Belkin or the Prolific adapters work work in Mac OS X, and what you did specifically to do this?

Thanks,
John

Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Another Mac Serial USB adapter driver question

Post by Stuart » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi John,
The prolific adaptor should work - I'm not sure about the belkin one. In the network settings, you simply need to click the Apply button. None of the settings need to be changed.

You can also try this method of downloading: http://www.ismarttrain.com/articles/AlterDownload.php

Regards

Stuart

mahas

Post by mahas » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi Stuart, I am newbie here but I have quite similar question or issue. I have bought great Polar RS400D and I have a black Polar Serial port (N2965) and I also have a Keyspan USB - serial adapter . I cannot download any data from Polar . I am on trial copy of iSMARTtrain but if it would work I am definitely decided to buy one copy of your great software but I have no idea how to setup connection - what and where I am supposed to click . I have downloaded the newest driver for keyspan - 2.6. It should support MacOS X10.6. ¨

when I tried to connect Polar and mac there was an error number 100 ( if I remember it properly ) and iSmarttrain crashed.

Can you help me please with settings ( some screenshots from the process of settings connection would be perfect )?

thanx
Martin

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 pm

mahas wrote:Hi Stuart, I am newbie here but I have quite similar question or issue. I have bought great Polar RS400D and I have a black Polar Serial port (N2965) and I also have a Keyspan USB - serial adapter . I cannot download any data from Polar . I am on trial copy of iSMARTtrain but if it would work I am definitely decided to buy one copy of your great software but I have no idea how to setup connection - what and where I am supposed to click . I have downloaded the newest driver for keyspan - 2.6. It should support MacOS X10.6. ¨

when I tried to connect Polar and mac there was an error number 100 ( if I remember it properly ) and iSmarttrain crashed.

Can you help me please with settings ( some screenshots from the process of settings connection would be perfect )?

thanx
Martin

Hi,
The N2965 only works with the older 'S' series monitors. The RS400 needs an IrDA adaptor.

Regards

Stuart

feleven

Post by feleven » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm

Hey Martin, if your N2965 is surplus for you now, I'd be willing to buy it from you (I have the older S625X HRM that can make use of it). If this works for you, pls email me at rodsrun at telus dot net. Thanks either way!