Latest Polar HRMs useless on Macs?

Discussions on the Polar range of Heart Rate Monitors
sirjemo

Latest Polar HRMs useless on Macs?

Post by sirjemo » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 am

Hi everyone,

Why should I buy another Polar HRM? I've been using a S520 for several years but it's getting unreliable. I want to use CS600X or even 800 because I need the altitude readings. Has anyone got a positive experience using a recent Polar HRM on mac?
(I'm on MacbookPro OS 10.6.3 and so far have used soniclink to transfer.)

I've talked to various retailers who seem to be entirely ignorant about any problem or solution. Few have even heard of iSmarttrain!? The other response is: "They all work fine!" - which I don't believe - there's too much evidence on this forum to show that it's an unfolding problem and Polar feel no responsibility for nonPC users.

So anyone got a setup that works? Please let me know what it is, how you transfer data and how it works with iST.
OR is there a viable alternative to Polar? I'm about done with them.

Looking forward to hearing your responses!

ejo

Re: Latest Polar HRMs useless on Macs?

Post by ejo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:51 am

For what it's worth, Polar doesn't feel much responsibility for PC users either. Even when the IR interface works (about half the time, in my experience) their Precision Performance software is a joke. It's shocking how little effort they put into it. I'm ready to give up on Polar too, which is a shame, because the watch itself (the 625X) is pretty good.

If you find a better solution (preferably for a Mac), let me know.

sirjemo

Post by sirjemo » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 pm

ejo wrote:For what it's worth, Polar doesn't feel much responsibility for PC users either. Even when the IR interface works (about half the time, in my experience) their Precision Performance software is a joke. It's shocking how little effort they put into it. I'm ready to give up on Polar too, which is a shame, because the watch itself (the 625X) is pretty good.

Well I've taken the leap - my Polar S520 is dying and I can't see that what I need is available on Polar except at a high price - and then nearly all the software is unusable and downloading is problematic. Too bad.
I've been researching the Garmin Edge 500 and as the price has dropped and the upgrades have ironed out early glitches the user reviews are positive. Have a look at this: [http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/11/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html]
I know Stuart is working on improving the download to iST so I'm hoping for a clearer and less problematic way to track rides and training.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:47 am

sirjemo wrote:
ejo wrote:For what it's worth, Polar doesn't feel much responsibility for PC users either. Even when the IR interface works (about half the time, in my experience) their Precision Performance software is a joke. It's shocking how little effort they put into it. I'm ready to give up on Polar too, which is a shame, because the watch itself (the 625X) is pretty good.

Well I've taken the leap - my Polar S520 is dying and I can't see that what I need is available on Polar except at a high price - and then nearly all the software is unusable and downloading is problematic. Too bad.
I've been researching the Garmin Edge 500 and as the price has dropped and the upgrades have ironed out early glitches the user reviews are positive. Have a look at this: [http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/11/garmin-edge-500-in-depth-review.html]
I know Stuart is working on improving the download to iST so I'm hoping for a clearer and less problematic way to track rides and training.

The Edge 500 will work with the latest release of iSMARTtrain.

Regards

Stuart