Garmin will/is all over Polar and is worth supporting

Discussions on Garmin's Edge and ForeRunner Devices
sangus

Garmin will/is all over Polar and is worth supporting

Post by sangus » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 am

Hi Tifty and others, I am a recent uptaker (long overdue) of a HR monitor, and went for the Garmin Forerunner 305 -- the simple fact is that for the price, the 305 and other models like it from Garmin, record as much info for download as the more expensive Polar monitors, give better real-time feedback such as the virtual partner etc. and have the full features of a GPS (e.g. navigation, setting waypoints etc.). It is the killer app. compared to anything Polar has at a similar price, and this is without considering the GPS advantages which are many. .. For these reasons, I think Polar is going to be out of the game unless they very quickly get on board the GPS integrated HR monitor approach.

I say this from a users perspective, to encourage iSmartTrain to support Garmin 305s and the like for download data from directly, rather than the slightly annoying (but very nice that it is there!) feature of getting the files from the (basic) Garmin Training centre. .. Of course, I declare my bias by owning a 305, but the point of what I am saying above remains, regardless of whether I was an owner or not. .. And from my research of late, for Mac users, iSmartTrain is the best product by far for real analysis of HR trace data that matches the Polar software. The aggregation through histograms for time spent in different zones etc., plus the level of detail in the user profiles and settings etc. show that iSmartTrain are committed to hard and useful analysis. Many other programs are very much softer in comparison.

Taken together, I think the future for serious athletes who are Mac owners is Garmin hardware with iSmartTrain .. I look forward to more integration on these lines in the future, and would be interested in your thinking.

jfj

Re: Garmin will/is all over Polar and is worth supporting

Post by jfj » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:57 am

Maybe,

...but we are still waiting for the ANT drivers for OSX, announced to come this fall - but one never know with Garmin. Their track-record with regard to "Mac-promises" has not been stellar.

Having said that, I still think both Polar and Suunto are superior as long as you do not need GPS-based information.

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:31 pm

sangus wrote:Hi Tifty and others, I am a recent uptaker (long overdue) of a HR monitor, and went for the Garmin Forerunner 305 -- the simple fact is that for the price, the 305 and other models like it from Garmin, record as much info for download as the more expensive Polar monitors, give better real-time feedback such as the virtual partner etc. and have the full features of a GPS (e.g. navigation, setting waypoints etc.). It is the killer app. compared to anything Polar has at a similar price, and this is without considering the GPS advantages which are many. .. For these reasons, I think Polar is going to be out of the game unless they very quickly get on board the GPS integrated HR monitor approach.

I say this from a users perspective, to encourage iSmartTrain to support Garmin 305s and the like for download data from directly, rather than the slightly annoying (but very nice that it is there!) feature of getting the files from the (basic) Garmin Training centre. .. Of course, I declare my bias by owning a 305, but the point of what I am saying above remains, regardless of whether I was an owner or not. .. And from my research of late, for Mac users, iSmartTrain is the best product by far for real analysis of HR trace data that matches the Polar software. The aggregation through histograms for time spent in different zones etc., plus the level of detail in the user profiles and settings etc. show that iSmartTrain are committed to hard and useful analysis. Many other programs are very much softer in comparison.

Taken together, I think the future for serious athletes who are Mac owners is Garmin hardware with iSmartTrain .. I look forward to more integration on these lines in the future, and would be interested in your thinking.

We're very close to an alpha release that supports the usb Garmin devices. Hopefully, we'll have a general release in the next week-or-so.

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:33 pm

jfj wrote:Maybe,

...but we are still waiting for the ANT drivers for OSX, announced to come this fall - but one never know with Garmin. Their track-record with regard to "Mac-promises" has not been stellar.

Having said that, I still think both Polar and Suunto are superior as long as you do not need GPS-based information.

Yes, but we only need those for the FR 405. We could work around that if we had to...

Thanks & Regards

Stuart

JohnCHCH

Post by JohnCHCH » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Looking forward to the release that supports the Garmin FR 305

John

jaimieblagg

Post by jaimieblagg » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Hi

I currently have a polar accurex plus which I am using sucessfully. However it is now getting long in the tooth and I am considering going for the Garmin 705 device. This will offer me the ability to track routes, speed well basically everything. Is this planned to be supported by iSMARTtrain in the near future?

Thanks

Jaimie

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:23 am

The 705 is partly supported now. It'll mount on your desktop as a mass-storage (i.e. like a usb pen dirve) device, and you'll be able to copy the .tcx files of your data off it. These can be imported into the current release of iSMARTtrain.

I've got one myself, and I'm eagerly awaiting the firmware updater for the PowerTap to be released so that it'll work with my 705.

Regards

Stuart